Support for Governor McDonnell's Transportation Plan Grows as Business and Transportation Groups Join to Endorse the Plan
Four business and transportation groups today joined the growing list of supporters of Governor Bob McDonnell's “Virginia’s Road to the Future”, the comprehensive, long-term transportation funding plan. The Apartment and Office Building Association, the Washington Airports Task Force, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and APM Terminals announced their support for the governor’s transportation funding solution. Official statements from the groups can be found below.
Apartment and Office Building Association
“The Apartment and Office Building Association (AOBA) of Metropolitan Washington commends Governor Bob McDonnell for bringing forward his ambitious initiative to invest $3.1 billion over the next five years in maintaining and improving Virginia's roads and railways.
AOBA's members, who own and manage over 68 million square feet of commercial office space and approximately 87,000 multifamily residential units in traffic-plagued Northern Virginia, recognize that an efficient and reliable transportation system is critical to the long-term economic viability of the Commonwealth and to ensuring that Virginia remains a premier location to live and do business.
Our members call on the General Assembly to now put aside ideological and regional differences, take up the Governor's proposals and those which have been put forth by others, and work in a collaborative manner to achieve the long overdue compromise that will effectively address Virginia's infrastructure crisis.”
Washington Airports Task Force
“We applaud the initiative of Virginia Governor McDonnell and a bipartisan group of leaders in the Commonwealth’s General Assembly to create a sustainable and substantial increase in transportation funding. As Governor McDonnell has stated, his transportation funding bill is a work in progress. As Virginia’s leadership works to hammer out a bill acceptable to both Houses and all interests, we believe they will find that the best mix of revenue sources for transportation includes some form of broad based fee or tax that is tied to use of the system.
Economic growth and efficient transportation are linked. You cannot for long have one without the other. The case for increased transportation funding if the Commonwealth is to avoid economic decline is unarguable.
Consequently, we call upon all members of the Virginia General Assembly to work with their colleagues and with the Governor to craft and pass a Transportation Funding Bill that will generate substantial new and sustainable funding dedicated to the improvement of Virginia’s transportation and competitiveness. Time and time again, funding for transportation improvements in Virginia has been shown to be an investment that yields long-term benefits for all segments of society.”
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
“The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority applauds Governor McDonnell’s inclusion of increased support by the Commonwealth for Phase 2 of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project in his transportation initiative, and we commend legislators who are supporting additional state funding for the Project. The Airports Authority supports the Governor’s efforts and the legislative proposals to provide increased funding, consistent with existing agreements that ensure completion of the Silver Line and help mitigate toll increases on the Dulles Toll Road. We encourage members of the Virginia House of Delegates and Virginia Senate to work collaboratively with each other and the Governor to fund transportation projects such as the Silver Line which provide important transportation benefits and sustain the Commonwealth’s economic growth engines.”
“APM Terminals is pleased to join the list of companies stepping forward to endorse the Governor's efforts to find sustainable and growing revenue for Virginia's transportation program. As a successful and efficient port operator, we know that safe and efficient transportation is an integral and essential element of our business. It takes rail, roads, and water to move cargo. We've been champions of finding sustainable transportation since we partnered with the Commonwealth to build our world-class, state-of-the-art facility in Portsmouth. We are excited and encouraged that the Governor's plan will generate a genuine commitment across the aisles of the General Assembly to deliver a definitive and lasting source of revenue to finance, build, operate and maintain Virginia's transportation system.” - Eric A. Sisco, President, APM Terminals Americas
These four groups join numerous business, labor and transportation groups that have already announced their support of the governor’s plan. They are:
· American Concrete Paving Association - Mid-Atlantic Chapter
· Associated General Contractors of Virginia
· Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division of Teamsters
· Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen
· CSX Transportation, Inc.
· Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce
· Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
· Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
· Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce
· Hampton Roads Utility and Heavy Contractors Association
· Heavy Construction Contractors Association
· Home Builders Association of Virginia
· Lynchburg Regional Chamber of Commerce
· Luck Companies
· Old Dominion Highway Contractors Association
· Norfolk Southern Corporation
· Northern Virginia Technology Council
· Prince William Chamber of Commerce
· Richmond Area Municipal Contractors Association
· Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce
· Precast Concrete Association of Virginia
· Sheet Metal Air Rail and Transportation Union
· Virginia Economic Developers Association
· Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce
· Virginia Asphalt Association
· Virginia Association of Counties
· Virginia Association of REALTORS
· Virginia Association of Roofing Professionals
· Virginia Automobile Dealers Association
· Virginia Chamber of Commerce
· Virginians for High Speed Rail
· Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
· Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
· Virginia Railroad Association
· Virginia Ready-Mixed Concrete Association
· Virginia Regional Transit
· Virginia Transportation Construction Alliance
Governor McDonnell’s plan will provide more than $3.1 billion in transportation funding for the Commonwealth over the next 5 years, including $1.8 billion for new construction. It will end the state’s crossover issue, in which money meant for construction is currently diverted to simple maintenance. The plan ties future transportation funding to economic growth and makes Virginia the first state in the nation to eliminate its gas tax, a rapidly declining revenue source. The full plan is available here.
- McAuliffe, Inc. LLC 1, Due Process Rights 0 | Senate Democrats stand up to make sure you can't appeal your red light ticket.
- .@MarkWarner Misleading and inaccurate... so like when you said you wouldn't vote to take away health ins. we liked? t.co/vI5P5ALuDT
- .@MarkWarnerVA Check out this video of Warner staffers trying to hide his Obamacare vote at the Shad Planking! #vasen t.co/44daNP03v6